From:  Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Rewrite The Waste Land
Date:  Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:40:06 -0700

Eliot and postmodernism

Diana, what fascinates me, and doubtlessly fascinates many, is the fact

that in TWL, despite the "deconstruction of conventional narrative",

despite  "disjunctions", the fragments connect so well as to reinforce

each other.

Also, as Peter rightly points out, there is "a sense of synchronicity or

all at onceness in the poem."

The poem is, indeed, a "modernist" perception of a
fragmented reality,

"A heap of broken images"

All the same, I would not consider this deconstruction of conventional

narrative "postmodern". The coherence of these fragments around a

thematic center distinguishes the poem from the postmodern in that

the postmodern perception of reality is essentially one of anarchy

and disorder without a center to holdIn TWL
things do fall apart

but 'What the Thunder Said' suggests how one can restore order.

As for the "indeterminacy" of meaning at places, it only adds to

the poem's richness without undermining its essence.

Regards,

CR

Peter, that's
another postmodern aspect of Eliot, wouldn't you say? Disjunctions and indeterminacy, and deconstruction of conventional narrative.  Diana

Peter wrote:

The various interruptions to or contortions of the narrative
help to create  //a sense of synchronicity or all at onceness in
the poem.//  One of the technical messages of the poem
(ie. the medium as message) is that the narrative is pretty
much kaput in the modernist perception of reality.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!