Diana Manister wrote:

> Throughout the poem, pre-verbal utterances play a role. My thinking at
> the moment leads me to believe that Eliot may, like Joyce, be tracing
> speech to its origins.  ...
>
> A list of these utterances in the poem is as follows:
>
> 'Jug Jug', O O O O, Ta ta, O, O, Twit twit twit Jug jug jug jug jug
> jug, O, Weialala leia Wallala leialala, Weialala leia Wallala
> leialala, la la, O, Drip drop drip drop drop drop drop,Co co rico co
> co rico, D A, D A, D A, O.
>
> I would be very interested in your or anyone's thoughts on this. Diana

My thoughts are that Eliot wasn't just ahead of the times in poetry
but also in film.  He has filled the poem with bells, music, songs,
overheard conversation and background noise.  I see the utterances you
list as the crude way he had to use to put some of the sounds into the
work since his medium was print and not color film with sound.

Regards,
   Rick Parker