From: "Mcmullen, Keith A MVS" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Charlene and Jim Malone" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 7:40 AM
Subject: RE: ILLINOIS bird - NEOTROPIC CORMORANT @ HSL

 I couldn't find ANY CORMORANTS so I knew they had to be
somewhere else.  Since it was starting to rain, I had my doubts.  I got on
I-55/70 EAST towards Collinsville and after crossing into MADISON COUNTY,
looking N at the area of dead trees around the pump station and Canteen
Lake,
I noticed well over 100+ DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS!  I figured this had to
be
the roosting location for all and any CORMORANTS in the area.  I took RT.
111
N, over the canal and where the road splits before the RR tracks, I did a
U-turn and parked at the FIRST gravel "driveway" (with the yellow gate and
NO
TRESPASSING signs!) and walked the gravel drive to get a better view of the
perched birds.  The first group of 50 I did not see any small guys.  The
second group of birds (roughly about 65) had several candidates, however, 1
really stood out! Of course, it had it's head tucked and I waited 10 minutes
at least, before it untucked it's head and YES, it was an adult NEOTROPIC
CORMORANT, clearly displaying the white border along the throat patch.

Honestly, I've seen fisherman along that canal many times and I've seen cars
parked their a ton, so I believe it's the Metro East Sanitary District sign
saying "No Trespassing".  I'm certain they're not wanting anyone to mess
with
the pump station.

Anyhow, if possible, go ahead and post to MOBIRDS that the bird is still
around and likely will continue to hang in the area, foraging with the DC
CORMS and roosting at that same location, S end of Canteen Lake visible from
I-55/70.

Good birdings!

Keith