Yesterday Jack Hilsabeck (a certified bird bander) and I drove over to Jamesport, Missouri, at the request of an Amish fellow. He maintains a Purple Martin colony and wanted to have a bird bander band some of the nestlings he presently has in the colony. The nestlings were retrieved from some of the 114 active nests. (There are 140 nesting compartments on the premises. There are probably about 300 more eggs and nestlings to young to band at this time. The data gathered will be sent in the the Purple Martin Conservation Association (PMCA) and the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

  We ended up banding two hundred and ninety (290) Purple Martins (282 nestlings and 8 adult birds). In addition to those we also banded five nestling Barn Swallows and six nestling House Wrens.

  After the banding session we were treated to some very good brownies and mint tea and returned home, each with a loaf of freshly baked bread.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County