Today we visited Magnolia Hollow CA, ate our lunch at Pere Marquette Park and watched the skies above the Tower Rock Quarry/Chemical Lime area - all north of Ste Genevieve.

  Target birds: Black Vultures and tanagers

  Weather - Clear, sunny, warming to hot with a welcome breeze

  At the Conservation Area off County V south of Bloomsdale we saw and/or heard:
  Great Blue Heron standing in creek
  Orchard Orioles on nest
  Summer Tanagers - one a treetop male that Margaret spotted from the river/creek overlook
  Goldfinch
  Indigo Buntings - many
  Chimney Swifts
  N Cardinal
  Bluejay
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  E Wood Peewee
  Great Crested Flycatcher
  Acadian Flycatcher
  Blue-gray Gnatcatchers on nest
  Eastern Bluebirds - many
  N Parula
  C Yellowthroat
  Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos
  Purple Martins
  Rough-winged Swallows
  Tree Swallows
  Turkey Vultures - first seen soaring about 10am

  We had no positive ID of Black Vultures before lunch in the quarry area, but we added Red-tailed Hawks and Am Crows.  On the big microwave tower on the Chemical Lime side up to six Turkey Vultures rested with outspread wings. A young Red-tailed stood on the chimney of an abandoned farmhouse.

  In the park we added:
  C Grackle
  Green Heron
  More Orchard Orioles, swifts, indigos, redtails
  Woodpecker sp. drumming

  When we returned to the Chemical Lime side of the quarry about 1pm, clouds had begun to form and Jean spotted the distinctive shape of Black Vultures soaring high among the TV's.  There were at least five at one time and with the scope I could just make out the white pattern on the underwings.  It was just after 1pm.  We were back at Des Peres by about 230.  We had not seen any Scarlet Tanagers.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County