Which of course brings Guido de Montefeltro to mind.

Cheers,
Peter
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: cr mittal
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Of "awful daring"

  Thou, who art wise, better my meaning know'st,
  Than I can speak.

       ~ Dante : Inferno, II. (Trans. by Henry F. Cary)

  "O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    I've always imagined that if the "daring moment" had a biographical referent, it was something less public and documentable than what we know of his marriage or conversion or change of national affiliation--something "not to be found in our obituaries."

    Brian

    Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
    Assistant Professor of English
    Director of the Writing Center