From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">cr mittal
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL

The more I think about the passage, the more I wonder
if there isn't a metaphysical conceit here. If planted is
taken as a sexual reference, the sperm being planted in
a woman (garden), then to juxtapose the embryo with a
corpse is a very stricking effect, and could be seen
as reflecting the sterility that sprouts all through TWL.

P.

Peter,

Please mark the following at  p. 8 of the article "Glowed into
words" etc.  It almost supports your thesis.

Regards,

CR

-----

The various Celtic and medieval European legends from which the Grail legend is derived are similar in kind both to the classical myths of the dying god and to the Mystery traditions described by writers such as Ovid, so many turn-of-the-century scholars such as James Frazer, whose work inspired Weston, conflated them. In the dying-god myths the young hero kills the old king, mates with the goddess to restore fertility, and thus earns his kingship. But Frazer found a crucial source for his theories in the Irish historical kingship tales that form precursors to the Grail legend, many of which had just been translated when he was doing his research. In these Celtic precursors, the king attains his right to rule only after the sovereignty goddess accepts him as her lover. Usually in these tales, his most significant trial is facing the goddess at her most hideous. He resolves it by offering to sleep with her, whereupon she rewards him by transforming into a beautiful woman. Her transformation signals his attainment of kingship. //Because the goddess is also the land, the land could only prosper if their mating is fruitful. If the king is impotent, the land likewise becomes sterile. //

-----

Need Mail bonding?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.