There was an ancient custom of burying a corpse to bring good luck for the next year's crops and this seems likely because of the mention of an early frost.  It could also be a reference to a garden (and world) that is wasting away, where in the future nothing will grow, so it doesn't really matter what is planted, seeds or dead bodies.  It could also be a reference to reincarnation.

Regards,

Kate

-----Original Message-----
From: cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 9:32 am
Subject: Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL

That's breaking fresh ground -- in a wasteland --
for the sterile planting of a corpse in a garden.
The metaphysical conceit here does hold its own
even as the sperm does not !  No wonder, the
sterility sprouts all through TWL.

CR

The word "planted" needs to be accounted for.
One doesn't normally plant a corpse, least of all with the
expectation of its sprouting.

The more I think about the passage, the more I wonder
if there isn't a metaphysical conceit here. If planted is
taken as a sexual reference, the sperm being planted in
a woman (garden), then to juxtapose the embryo with a
corpse is a very stricking effect, and could be seen
as reflecting the sterility that sprouts all through TWL.

P.