Tiresias?
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:02 AM
  Subject: Re: The Yoruba and TSE

  Dear CR: the Dog of Conscience. That reading fits very well. Conscience will keep digging up memories of one's sins. (One of the goals of psychotherapy is to ameliorate the sadism of the superego -- emotionally disturbed people, like combat veterans who have fallen into illness because of what they were called upon to doo, often have superegos that tear them to pieces unmercifully. The conscience can be a cruel entity that overdoes guilt to the point where the personality may succumb to such self-hatred that suicide ensues.)

  However, sociopaths by definition suffer no such pangs. I never saw moral lassitude in the passage 'Past the Isle of Dogs," but I do believe your interpretation is a fitting one. The song then becomes a meaningless self-entertainment, chilling in its hollowness. When I read the passage in the way you suggest, the song produces a shudder.

  Now where is the poem's narrator in all this? It seems he is pointing the finger at the amoral who feel no guilt and saying Tsk Tsk, rather than including himself in their number. What do you think? N always seems to me to feel guilty in a rather nonspecific manner.

  Diana

  CR wrote:

    'Oh keep the Dog far hence, that's friend to men,

    'Or with his nails he'll dig it up again!

    "the Dog" (with a capital D) could easily be an allegorical representation

    of Conscience -- otherwise "friend to men", but not so in these matters ;)

    The graver aspect, however, of setting aside the voice of Conscience/Dog

    is metaphorically brought to the fore when, "Past the Isle of Dogs"

    -- divested of moral scruples  --  humans are reduced to

    no better than drifting barges and logs of wood:

    The barges drift

    With the turning tide

    Red sails

    Wide

    To leeward, swing on the heavy spar.

    The barges wash

    Drifting logs

    Down Greenwich reach

    Past the Isle of Dogs.

        Weialala leia

        Wallala
    leialala

    Well, just a reading of sorts :)

    Cheers!

    CR

    Marcia Karp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

      What is so chilling in Eliot's use of the lines is that there is menace, but no betrayal, in a wolf's, a foe's, digging up buried men, but that a dog, a friend,

      would is horrifying.

    Ready for the edge of your seat?