I wonder how Eliot would see the current war:  Young american soldiers die every day while around them the various Iraquis factions wound and kill each other along with the women and children, and outside terrorist cells encourage and enage in the scenario while in Amerca, this is all but ignored, as the news of the day is how Paris Hilton is faring in prison.

-----Original Message-----
From: O'Sullivan, Brian P <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 2:01 pm
Subject: Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL

>I think in this case
>the hypocrite reader, double, brother is a projection of himself and
>sense of guilt, as much an image of the terrible anxiety war caused him
>as anything else.
This makes a lot of sense to me. But can we also interpret the hypocrite reader
literally
as one of Eliot's likely immediate readers? I always picture a
pseudo-Baudelarian
coffeehouse intellectual peering disdainfully at the crowd of workers streaming
over
London Bridge like zombies, including dishevelled and diorientedveterans newly
back
from the war. The "hypocrite lectuer" line--coming from the author is a bank
clerk as well
as an intellectual--seems to remind the intellectual reader that the "waste
land"
is his or her modern milieu also, and not just that of the pedestrian crowd.
Brian

Brian O'Sullivan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Director of the Writing Center