The juxtaposition creates an effect in the readers,
different for different readers depending on what the
readers bring to the lines, some things in common
with other readers and some things not.

It is another example of the resonant interval.

The group in the pub has no problems communicating.
Their words make company between them.
The pair in the queen's chamber have few words. Their moves
of the ivory (connotations of coldness as well as luxury --  cf ivory tower)
men, rather than their words make company. The moves are
competetive and hostile, if only in game form. The words of the
pub do have some hostility, but are meant to work towards a resolution
for the central person. For the queen there seems to be little but
unspoken subtext that is virtually impossible to grasp -- perhaps sexual
moves?).  For the pub there is sub-text but again it is not hard to read
at all. The ivory characters have at best a virtual life on the board.
The pub characters have a vibrant life for real. they are the musical
audience that Eliot was so positive about (cf the Marie Lloyd essay in SE).

Cf. The the chessmen with the tarot cards, not to mention
everything that Tiresias says and - is said of him in the notes.

The pub characters, can I suppose be seen as pawns in
the chess game. Certainly the demobbed fellows are coming
from a pawn-like situatiuon in the war. Not many connotations
of ivory among them that I can see, though, unless perhaps
that set of teeth that Lil should get.

Cheers,
Peter