from Brabazon, J. DOROTHY L. SAYERS. NY: Avon Books, 1981: 235.

BESIDES CHARLES WILLIAMS, Dorothy was of course in touch with the
other two members of that quartet of Anglican writers, T. S. Eliot
and C. S. Lewis; and it is not surprising that there were differences of
opinion between the four. Eliot was the most aloof of them, and
Dorothy’s letters to him were stiff and formal in cornpari~n with her
usual chatty style, suggesting that she stood in some awe of him; they
seem to have met only very occasionally, mostly as members of the
Advisory Council of St Anne’s House, of which more later.
 Between Dorothy, Williams and Lewis there was much more in
common, Lewis, too, being an Oxford man and one who combined
scholarship and a passion for theology with the writing of popular
novels. One of the first letters that we have from Lewis to Dorothy
contains the plaintive passage: “Oh Eliot! How can a man who is neither
a knave nor a fool write so like both? Well, he can’t complain that I
haven’t done my best to put him right. I hardly ever write a book without
showing him one of his errors — still he doesn’t mend. I call it
ungrateful.”’
 The criticism was not entirely one-sided. I myself remember hearing
Eliot, on one occasion, mildly wondering whether God really required
the strenuous efforts of Dr. Lewis to push him back on to his throne.