"They can see I'm a lost cause,
an Irishwoman, a lover of Yeats - but unfaithful."

And with the most bank-clerkley of Englishmen!

-----Original Message-----
From: cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 9:14 am
Subject: TS Eliot -- abiding popularity

Dear Listers,

It's interesting to learn how well Eliot's poety is being received

by the current generation of readers.  I'm scanning the web

to know the different reasons for which they admire it.

Just a sample !

CR

-----

COLLECTED POEMS TS ELIOT

Independent, The (London),  Nov 17, 2006  by Josephine Hart

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20061117/ai_n16863444

An extract :

It felt like a betrayal and it was, according to my Irish friends.

"Eliot? Your favourite poet? Not Yeats? How can you?"

"The heart has its reasons," I say. That's not good enough for the Irish.

"Perhaps I simply fell in love with his conversation; after all, he once

described poetry once as 'one person talking to another'.  Anyway,

I trust him.  He's right about most things."

We don't get much further than that. They can see I'm a lost cause,