Ever here of Paul Frederick Bowles? A US writer in Europe.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:50 AM
  Subject: Re: The life in the poem Was: New Topic

  Peter, unless you mean Ye Anciente Royale Game of Bowles, it's usually spelled "bowls." Diana

    From:  Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
    To:  [log in to unmask]
    Date:  Tue, 5 Jun 2007 05:51:54 -0800
    The difference in reading is important. To quote Eliot,
    "In art there should be interpenetration and metamorphosis."
    On the other hand, I would be lying if my reading weren't
    influenced by biography, such as knowing that Eliot played at bowles
    with the Woolfs.

    Cheers,
    Peter.
    I breed much of the night and