  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 6:13 AM
  Subject: Re: New England Ladies

  Yes, saying he was in love was in effect a proposal of marriage. Emily and Tom were both members of upper-class Boston families whose relatives no doubt knew each other socially and perhaps in business as well. The families would have been aware of the situation and so Tom's defection would have involved their censure. Emily had the social code of her class as reinforcement for her trust in Eliot. Diana

  Nancy wrote: "As I said, there is no analogy.  In 1911, if a man said he was in love,
  it was to be trusted.  That was the point of those words.  And it is
  frankly disgraceful to say that when a man betrays trust the woman is
  just silly.  It is outrageous.
  Nancy"

  >>> Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]> 06/14/07 8:06 PM >>>

  By the way, Nancy, Annette was also a New England lady.

  As I remember, Annette had a good job and received promotions, etc. She

  owned a nice home. Emily waited all of those years, instead of pursuing
  her
  happiness with a man who wanted to be with her.  I imagine that Emily
  used  to cry
  at Christmas and Thanksgiving and on her birthday, etc., just as
  Annette used
  to do.

  In a message dated 6/14/2007 7:40:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,