Some things never change, such as leading a woman on for years and then ditching her, such as an otherwise intelligent woman being a silly goose about a man.  Poor Tom.  If he was alive today living in England and Emily in America, he would had to deal with cell phones.  Another thing that hasn't changed:  If after a few months of being in love, if he doesn't bring up marriage or at least shacking up, then she needs to face up to facts.