She waited 30 years for him and he ended up marrying someone else, but she wasn't silly?  He didn't live with her. He didn't ask her to share his life. He didn't even live in the same country as her. How much happiness did he give her in those 30 years and how much pain, but she wasn't silly?  In 1990, a man that I had known for two weeks said he loved me and then asked me to marry him.  I don't know what 1911 has to do with it.  I wouldn't wait three months for a man who said he loved me but didn't ask me to marry him, never mind 30 years.  She may have been intelligent as hell, but about men, she was a silly goose and greatly lacking in self-esteem.