From: "Jonathan Crowther" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL

Is this the man?

Stetson, John  (1836-96), producer and manager. The impresario was born in
Charlestown, Massachusetts, and gained early fame as an athlete who went
professional. After publishing a controversial Boston magazine, he turned to
the theatre and he took over numerous playhouses, including the Howard
Athenaeum, Olympic, Globe, and the Park in Boston; and the Globe, Booth's,
the Fifth Avenue, Standard, and the Star in New York. Stetson worked closely
with Harrigan and Hart in their first years as a team and afterwards managed
such stars as Tommaso Salvini, Lillie Langtry, Helena Modjeska, and James
O'Neill. He also produced shows, including several of the original
importations of Gilbert and Sullivan. Writing of the "big, bass, blustering"
impresario, Otis Skinner remarked, "His usual manner was that of a war
tank-he went through things as if they stood in his way. One look at his
aggressive face, square jaw, and clouded dead eye was enough to cause timid
ones to step aside." Unlike many other noted theatrical producers and
theatre owners who made and lost fortunes, Stetson died a very wealthy man.

Jonathan