That's breaking fresh ground -- in a wasteland --
for the sterile planting of a corpse in a garden.
The metaphysical conceit here does hold its own
even as the sperm does not !  No wonder, the
sterility sprouts all through TWL.

CR

The word "planted" needs to be accounted for.
One doesn't normally plant a corpse, least of all with the
expectation of its sprouting.

The more I think about the passage, the more I wonder
if there isn't a metaphysical conceit here. If planted is
taken as a sexual reference, the sperm being planted in
a woman (garden), then to juxtapose the embryo with a
corpse is a very stricking effect, and could be seen
as reflecting the sterility that sprouts all through TWL.

P.