That's breaking fresh ground -- in a wasteland --
  for the sterile planting of a corpse in a garden.
  The metaphysical conceit here does hold its own
  even as the sperm does not !  No wonder, the
  sterility sprouts all through TWL.

  CR

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:          The word "planted" needs to be accounted for.
  One doesn't normally plant a corpse, least of all with the
  expectation of its sprouting.

  The more I think about the passage, the more I wonder
  if there isn't a metaphysical conceit here. If planted is
  taken as a sexual reference, the sperm being planted in
  a woman (garden), then to juxtapose the embryo with a
  corpse is a very stricking effect, and could be seen
  as reflecting the sterility that sprouts all through TWL.

  P.