Yes.  Eliot was introduced to the Symbolist poets by Arthur Symonds's book in--according to Eliot--1908 or 1909.  He wrote about them many times and identified Dante, the Metaphysical poets, and the Symbolists as representing three moments when thought and feeling were joined--though only fully in Dante.  But "unreal city" comes from Baudelaire, "Les Sept Vieillards," or "The Seven Old Men," in which a horrible old man keeps doubling in front of his eyes.  Eliot said he knew what the line [about the spectre who stops the passerby] meant because he had lived it before he realized he wanted to turn it into poetry.  He also wrote of Jules Laforgue using "a d├ędoublement of the personality against which the subject struggles."

Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy, do we know if Eliot was familiar with Rimbaud's famous declaration "JE est un autre" (I is another)? The plurality of the I in Surrealist writing has this assertion in its lineage. While I'm often puzzled by why Rimbaud is considered a great poet, this brief but stunningly original statement is the precursor if not the inspiration for the multiple points of view of much modern art, among which is the cubist rendering of objects from simultaneous vantage points in one painting.

Diana