expressions of the unconscious

  Diana,

  You had once pointed to the surrealistic strain in Eliot's poetry.
  The Stetson passage could perhaps be a fine illustration of it.

  Incidentally, it was in response to Carrol Cox's query, "why is the
  spider beneficent?" ("in memories draped by the beneficent spider")
  that Rickard Parker wrote: "Seems to me that the narrator thinks that
  he and his friend will keep their memories to themselves even beyond
  the grave and that the spider will do good in draping even their
  gravestones."

  Well, viewed surrealistically, in the Stetson passage the speaker
  could be alluding to the burial of a memory ('The Burial of the Dead').
  That the memory had an element of guilt/sin to it is evident in the
  haunting fear of exposure ["Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this
  year?"]. The Unconscious reassures itself, though, by universalizing
  the moral aberration -- O, humanity in general is equally vulnerable !
  So, with a side glance, or in an aside as it were, the narrator ends
  with a bantering note of admonition to the reader:

  You! hypocrite lecteur! -- mon semblable, -- mon frère!

    For a symbolist, though, the images from contemporary life come
  as handy tools for the expression of what Eliot called "the deeper,
  unnamed feelings which form the substratum of our being, to which
  we rarely penetrate". (The Use of Poetry and the Use of Criticism)

  Or, as Baudelaire put it, "In certain almost supernatural states
  of the soul, the depth of life is revealed in ordinary everyday
  happenings. The ordinary life then becomes the symbol so that
  the images from the external world correspond to the poet's
  inner life, loaded with deep spiritual meanings." (I'm sorry
  I have no citation for this quote.)

  Regards,

  CR