        No one has mentioned that planting a corpse rather than burying it implies that it will grow again in the spring, a feature of ancient vegetative-fertility myths.
  Jessie Weston noted that Celtic and Christian stories related to the Arthurian legend have evolved from rituals relating to ancient fertility cults. These vegetative-fertility myths are so primeval, argues Weston, that they have insinuated themselves in myth and literature ever since the creation of writing.
  These vegetative myths are based on nature, particularly on the cycle of the seasons.  Many ancient rituals often invoked one god or another; when fall and winter came, these gods or goddesses were often thought of as "dying" only to be reborn, or replaced by new gods, the following spring.
  Obviously if the dog digs up the planting, the myth has failed to perform in the expected way. Something is very wrong in nature.

  Diana

  Thanks, Diana, for drawing attention to this aspect. I just
  forgot to take it into account.  But here it is, all the same.

  You know what, I have all along read the speaker's derision of
  Stetson in this mythic allusion.  In case "the corpse" here
  is the result of sexual violence, as in the case of Phelomela,
  the questions "Has it begun to sprout ?  Will it bloom this year ?"
  are rather disconcerting in the extreme, for they pose a threat
  of exposure.

  Cheers!

  CR