Nancy, you wrote:

     To be cynical is  //to be both very aware of evil and sceptical
     about innocence at all.//

But we're talking of it in a context.  Now where does one find in
the following lines

 * We should play a game of chess
 * The ivory men make company between us

an evidence of being "very aware of evil and sceptical
about innocence at all" ?

You'll agree that when we impute a motive to a character,
the evidence must be in the text.  One can't just implant it
there.

Diana had written: "The first two lines seem //anything but innocent,//
but rather reeking with cynicism."

Regards,

CR