Nancy, you wrote:

       To be cynical is  //to be both very aware of evil and sceptical
       about innocence at all.//

  But we're talking of it in a context.  Now where does one find in
  the following lines

   * We should play a game of chess
 * The ivory men make company between us

  an evidence of being "very aware of evil and sceptical
  about innocence at all" ?

  You'll agree that when we impute a motive to a character,
  the evidence must be in the text.  One can't just implant it
  there.

  Diana had written: "The first two lines seem //anything but innocent,//
  but rather reeking with cynicism."

  Regards,

  CR