Since TSE loved to soak himself in Dante's wisdom, it's apropos
  to contemplate two of Dante's aphorisms and keep them in mind
  vis-a-vis Eliot's view of things:

  Those things alone / Are to be fear'd whence evil may proceed
                                                                          (Inferno II)

  as each thing to more perfection grows, / It feels more sensibly
  both good and pain
                                                                         (Inferno VI)

  Translation by Henry F. Cary.

  Cheers!

  CR

          Whew. I thought for a minute it was male bulge.

  PS. I do believe that Dante (with Virgil in tow - or vice versa depending on one's dimension) interviewed Guido de Montefeltro in one such
  fosse or ditch -- 38 I think, not sure. A small excerpt of said interview
  was used by Eliot (with Dante in tow, or Prufrock, or the reader perhaps,
  or all three, or vice versa depending on one's dimension) as the epigraph for "TLSOJAP"

  P.