Carrol,

One may not agree here -- in Eliot's case, at least. There's hardly
a passage in TWL that doesn't reverberate with the thematic leitmotif
of the work as a whole -- ramifications of lust and the way through
the impasse. The poem opens on a note of "breeding/Lilacs" and
closes neatly on a note of resolution that may usher in "Shantih",
a freedom from this affliction that is responsible for the wasteland
condition.

Regards,

CR

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
cr mittal wrote:

> Thanks for your very valid questions, Marcia. As I said, it's just a
> reading
> of sorts. It's only in the overall context of the TWL that I view "the
> corpse"
> and associate it with an act of savagery/lust/violence, an act of
> guilt/sin.

You can't do that. The "overall context" has no existence except in the
local passages. It's an old hermeneutic principle that makes a lot of
sense: In construing a local passage, _first_ make sense of it in
isolation. There are of course difficulties here: It's called the
Hermeneutic Circle. But not honoring those difficulties leads to utter
nonsense. Anyone can make a text mean anything they want it to mean --
but then others have no recourse but just ignore the resulting
construals as not contributing to any useful conversation.

Carrol

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.