Dear Diana,

You may have gotten material that described how there were many
different kinds of therapy at Craiglockhart.  Rivers was unusual in his
methods, and many psychiatrists at the time just denied the existence of
"shell shock."  I quote it because it was a name given to hysteria by
Adolph Meyers because they did not want to call the soldiers hysterical.
 But all the early accounts in the Lancet and elsewhere called it that
at first.

Some therapists at Craiglockhart did encourage golf and tennis and
forgetting.
Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy, I was able to print out Rivers' "The Repression of War
Experience." Many thanks! The issues of Hydra are fascinating to read
too, so well do they capture the diction and images of that time and
situation. Diana