From: "Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>

> I think, however, that some messages are taking "dare" to refer to
> Eliot.  I think he was a daring poet, and he dared to leave home and
> live as he chose.

Including DARING to become an Anglican.

>I don't think he did dare to live emotionally, and
> the surrender with Viv did make any further ability almost impossible.

He certainly maintained a mask of detachment as Old Possum.
Given the degree of privacy he maintained, how can one say whether he lived
unemotionally or not? His involvement with Sayers and Williams
in the St. Anne's Society would have offered much opportunity
foe emotional engagement, not to mention all the fun and games
of word/literary play (esp from Sherlock Holemes) with club members.

> Ironically, after all his life, it was only human love that ever really
> did make him happy.  He had seven years of it--that's a lot.  But his
> denials of it are always ambiguous and disturbed and filled with
> longing.

Of course he got no satisfaction from his creativity.

> Even in the young man carbuncular scene, he may think he dared, but he
> is only presumptuous and smug; she is bored and never responds.  So he
> assaults; I don't know if that is daring in any emotional sense.

Are you referring to Eliot here?

P.