Dear Carrol,
    I think you must be remembering Hardy's "Ah, are you digging on my grave."  Dead mistress, not master.  Burying, not digging up, a bone.  But still.
    I don't know if the poem was published before its volume, but that -- Satires of Circumstance: Lyrics and Reveries with Miscellaneous Pieces -- was published in 1914.  I find it hard, the tones being so different, to think the Hardy poem is related to Eliot's reworking of Webster's line, but it may have been something E knew.

    There is a very enjoyable piece, "A Note on Hardy's 'A Spellbound Palace'," in Christopher Ricks' Essays in Appreciation that has to do with poetic relations between Hardy and Eliot.

    It turns out to be spurious, but until recently it was thought that Housman had written a very strange letter to J. M. Barrie (in reply to Barrie's letter) that ends with Housman castigating Barrie for misspelling his name.  So, Mr. Cox, no e in Housman, unless you want you hand slapped apocryphally.

Best,
Marcia

Carrol Cox wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Marcia Karp wrote:

What is so chilling in Eliot's use of the lines is that there is
menace, but no betrayal, in a wolf's, a foe's, digging up buried men,
but that a dog, a friend, would is horrifying.

Is it Hardy or Houseman that has a dog digging at his master's grave,
and when the master thanks him for remembering,  the dog replies, sorry,
but I didn't remember you were buried here and am just digging up a
bone? And what was the publication date of that poem? And how familiar
was Eliot with the poetry of whichever of them wrote that? (I'm pretty
sure it's Hardy.)

Carrol