It need not be either approval or disapproval but simply fact.  It was
Eliot, after all, who said that it was better to do evil than to do
nothing because "at least we exist."  (Or it may be "at least we are
alive"--I just read it but it's not right here.)  In any case, daring
moments are not very present in any of the poetry, and when they are
possible, whoever is speaking tends to fail.

It was not much of a marriage for Viv either, and it was she whose life
never recovered.  He seems to have sustained guilt over that but not to
have acted on his guilt.
Nancy

>>> cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> 06/10/07 1:12 PM >>>
        The awful daring of a moment's surrender
  Which an age of prudence can never retract

  CR: I have always seen this as Eliot's way of saying "Marry in haste,
  repent at leisure." Not believing in divorce, his sudden to decision
  marry Viv left him one of their lifetimes in which to repent. Diana

  I don't think so, Diana. There's a note of approval, not disapproval,
  to the "awful daring of a moment's surrender" in

  The awful daring of a moment's surrender
  Which an age of prudence can never retract
  // By this, and this only, we have existed //

  Regards,

  CR

 Get your own web address.