> Marcia Karp wrote:
>

> What is so chilling in Eliot's use of the lines is that there is
> menace, but no betrayal, in a wolf's, a foe's, digging up buried men,
> but that a dog, a friend, would is horrifying.

Is it Hardy or Houseman that has a dog digging at his master's grave,
and when the master thanks him for remembering,  the dog replies, sorry,
but I didn't remember you were buried here and am just digging up a
bone? And what was the publication date of that poem? And how familiar
was Eliot with the poetry of whichever of them wrote that? (I'm pretty
sure it's Hardy.)

Carrol