Diana Manister wrote:

> Dear Nancy: perhaps many of the references to fertility rituals are
> actually in Eliot's text, even if he wrote them before Jessie Weston's
> book appeared. Everyone was Jung then and easily Freudened. The
> unconscious, source of ancient myths,

I haven't kept up with the latest mythography, but I'm pretty sure no
one for over half a century has offered this explanation of myth. It is
much more grounded in actual human practice.  Of course anyone can say
anything is "unconscious" and there's no way to prove him/her wrong --
and no way to prove it correct either! In deciphering a code, one needs
some crosscheck even to establish that the code _is_ a code. Otherwise
one plunges into an infinitely receding cycle of tautologies -- which is
the problem I have been having with offering any very substantial
content to my "stray thought" of the other day.

Carrol