Peter

Remember Pound actually tried his hand at sculpture.  Typically he pounded
some ordinary rounded/smoothed river rocks with a hammer until they broke.
He then arranged the pieces along with "unsculpted" stones in his Paris
apartment.  For the story see Stock's bio I believe.

I think Pound was fascinated with metamorphosis and not so much with change.
It was the almost magical moment when something ceased to be what it was and
became something absolutely different that obsessed Pound.  Metamorphosis is
a continuous theme through his own work and is central to a good
understanding of Imagism.

If Pound had been creatively "sculpting" on the TSE manuscript at this
particular moment in his artistic life wouldn't he have been trying to
create a Vortistic poem? The point is that if Pound at this time was in his
"creative" role he would have been striving to pull out Vorticism from the
"clay" which Eliot had handed him.  This is not what happened. Pound at this
period was actively searching for artists (graphic and literary) he could
label Vortistic yet he never saw TWL as Imagism or as a Vortex.  He saw it
as the best Modernistic poem he had read.

I see Pound's role as a super advisor and hand holder to TSE.  This does not
minimize Pound's role in the production of TWL.  TSE never did.  Without
Pound there would not have been a TWL.  But, which PhD can say that without
his/her *advisory* committee a successful dissertation would have happened
anyway?  I think the problem is that we instinctively minimize the
contribution of the "Advisor" to the success of an endeavor.  An advisor is
not a collaborator but yet provides a major contribution to the production
of the endeavor.  Advice, whether taken or not, almost always will "color"
the outcome.

Today it seems that every novel I read is prefaced by a long list of "thank
you" to all the authors friends and advisors whose help was material to the
poem.  Perhaps TSE should have done likewise. Then we wouldn't be having
this argument.  BTW anyone trying to put the dedicatory excerpt from TWL in
this role should read Southam pg 136.  Arnaut Daniel had no function in
Divine Comedy beyond "exemplar".

Rick Seddon
Portales, NM