Your "stray thought" is very interesting.  Could you explain a bit, with
a specific example or two?
Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy Gish wrote:

> I wonder sometimes just how many lines Eliot actually composed
entirely
> himself and what the reasons for his taking on so many others.  Was
> Soyinka completely serious, since I wonder how Eliot would find this
> line.

Well, some of the greatest lines in 20th century poetry are in the Adams
Cantos -- in which Pound only contributes the metric (and of course the
order) rather than the words themselves, mostly taken from Adams
himself.  And Eliot's metric is a considerable improvement over the
sentence quoted by Tom.

A stray thought that pops up at this point: All the borrowings in so
much 20th-c poetry -- could they not be a general 'allusion' to the
thickness of three centuries of individualist culture? The borrowing
from Doyle in 4Q has no explicit allusive significance -- but it could
be seen as a nodding of the head to that huge literary work that had
accumulated from Shakespeare to the present. ???? That is how the tangle
of echoes in Canto I operate: not so much specific 'allusions' as a
tying together of a huge web of relationships stretching over time.

Carrol