Carrol Cox wrote:

> Try an analogy from 'ordinary' writing. Even a freshman student who is
> really working on a theme can come to a point at which, in her
> scribbles, she suddenly 'sees' something that she hadn't seen while
> scribbling -- and now she can write the paper. Does the paper 'belong'
> to Josie-8pm-1am or does it 'belong' to Josie-1:15am -- or does it
> belong to Josie 9am-10:15am (next morning) as she pulls that material
> together? None or all of them!

Eliot must have wanted to talk to Pound face to face about TWL but,
with Pound now living in Paris and Eliot having used up his leave, a
stop in Paris on his way home would have been the thing to do (and
didn't Pound have a potential publisher waiting?)  If TSE had set
aside the poem for a month and then edited it himself before asking
for Pound's advice then we would have had a different poem.

Regards,
   Rick Parker