I wonder sometimes just how many lines Eliot actually composed entirely
himself and what the reasons for his taking on so many others.  Was
Soyinka completely serious, since I wonder how Eliot would find this
line.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]> 06/02/07 10:32 AM >>>
From today's issue of the Guardian:

From a description of a talk by Wole Soyinka - Nobel
laureate

'He reserved a sideswipe for TS Eliot, for stealing a
Yoruba saying for The Waste Land. According to
Soyinka, the original line was: "That corpse that you
buried in your garden: its toes have begun to poke
through."'

Full article at:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2093138,00.html