In a message dated 6/22/2007 5:01:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Kate,  you have absolutely and utterly no basis for what you call a belief.
Only trials can determine innocence or guilt--as far as possible--and in
America we have a presumption of innocence.  By all standards of American  law
and principle and eethics, they are all presumed innocent.  It is  deeply wrong
to claim they are not when you have nothing at all but a totally  unbased
opinion.  No one is there because they have been convicted of  anything.  People
are arrested and tried to find out if they are guilty  not because they are.

Yes--to everyone, I know this is pointless, but  sometimes one must be a
witness and refuse to read such a thing in  silence.

As that is everything I mean to say or I think worth saying, I  don't mean to
get pulled into another set of  exchanges.

Nancy

Nancy, I believe that I do have a basis for saying that Gitmo is not  filled
with the innocent, but I agree with you, that they all should be charged  and
then trials held with each of them having counsel, etc.  If they were  being
held in Florida, just 90 miles away, they would not be held this way,  without
charges, representation and trials.  But, as they are not  Americans and as
they are being held outside of America, Americans in general  accept this
unAmerican treatment of them.

Kate