I am really, really curious about examples ofpeople idolising or eulogising
Eliot the man. Obviously there his been admiration for his work, but I can
recall a single example of ELiot the person having been held up as some
shining example. In fact the only focus on his life on this list that I
can recall is the ad personam attacks.

It's one thing to say that biography helps to explicate a work, its another
just to trash some one because one doesn't like his moral behaviour.

And as to moral behaviour, I'm not at all sure, even granted the so-called
facts, which, given the onesidedness of the sources, are to be held in
some doubt. There is genuine guilt, and then there are guilty feelings.
We all have to make difficult decisions sometimes and we do the best
we can, but regret that the decisions aren't perfect and have negative
consequences.

A friend of mine had to come to look after his 90 year old father,
whose erratic driving was creating difficulties. The father could not
be convinced to stop driving, so my friend just sold the car out from
under his Dad, or as my friend put it, "I shot his horse." So my friend
felt guilty about doing it, and his Dad wouldn't forgive him. So my
friend felt guilty even though he did do the right thing. He saved his
father from harming himself and others, perhaps even quite disasterously.

And where were Emily and Mary in all this? Did they have no responsibility
for their lives? Eliot followed his heart and found
happiness it seems. It was much to little, too late. I don't begrudge
it to him. If he felt any guilt about Emily and/or Mary it sure didn't
show.

P.