From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Diana Manister
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: Of "awful daring"

Brian, it seems to me that Eliot's leaving Nancy Hale in America, when she and all their acquaintances assumed they would marry, was a powerful source of guilt for him all of his life. This reads like a soap opera, but even a genius is tormented by relationships. It seems almost as if his treatment of Hale had a tinge of sadism to it, so cruelly was she tossed aside twice in favor of other women. Repenting his first marriage may have included regret over having chosen Viv over Nancy. In any event, he certainly was very aware of his ill-treatment of a woman who loved him all of her life. I think the hyacinth girl has a Nancy Hale component, and the woman in the following poem especially:

La Figlia Che Piange (The Weeping Girl)

"...So I would have had him leave,
So I would have had her stand and grieve,
So he would have left         10
As the soul leaves the body torn and bruised,
As the mind deserts the body it has used.
I should find
Some way incomparably light and deft,
Some way we both should understand,         15
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand.

She turned away, but with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days,
Many days and many hours:
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers.         20
And I wonder how they should have been together!
I should have lost a gesture and a pose.
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noon’s repose.  "

Hale had a breakdown and was hospitalized after one of Eliot's marriages, I forget which. After Vivienne's death, it seemed they would marry after all, but he again reneged saying "It's too late!" Mary Trevelyan in England asked him several times to marry her after Viv died, but he said he had an attachment to a woman in America, who could only have been Nancy Hale. They saw each other over the years, when Eliot was in America and when she came to England. She accompanied him on his visit to places mentioned in 4Qs, and I sometimes think the door not entered and the unseen laughing children refer at least partly to his not having married Hale and had a family.

The events may be public, but guilt is not written in our obituaries. Diana