Dear CR: Isn't he saying he's had to live "by" prudence, after his sudden surrender? That doesn't sound like fun. Diana

From:  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Of "awful daring"
Date:  Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:12:43 -0700

The awful daring of a moment's surrender

Which an age of prudence can never retract

CR: I have always seen this as Eliot's way of saying "Marry in haste,

repent at leisure." Not believing in divorce, his sudden to decision to

marry Viv left him one of their lifetimes in which to repent. Diana

I don't think so, Diana. There's a note of approval, not disapproval,

to the "awful daring of a moment's surrender" in

The awful daring of a moment's surrender

Which an age of prudence
can never retract

// By this, and this only, we have existed //

Regards,

CR

Get your own web address.

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the iím Initiative now. Itís free.