The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract

CR: I have always seen this as Eliot's way of saying "Marry in haste, repent at leisure." Not believing in divorce, his sudden to decision to marry Viv left him one of their lifetimes in which to repent. Diana

From:  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL
Date:  Sun, 10 Jun 2007 04:09:00 -0700

A radical change of perspective ?

And wouldn't the following lines, then, be seen

in a new perspective:

And still she cried, and still the world pursues,

'Jug Jug' to dirty ears.

The awful daring of a moment's surrender

Which an age of prudence can never retract

By this, and this only, we have existed

Which is not to be found in our obituaries

Or in memories draped by the
beneficent spider

Or under seals broken by the lean solicitor

In our empty rooms

CR

cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Last word ?

The corpse planted in the garden, then, is that of the aborted child.

So sad !  The mother must have cried herself out inconsolably.

No wonder, there're "bats with baby
faces" that haunt TWL.

Datta.  Dayadhvam.  Damyata.

Shantih  shantih  shantih

CR

cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> quoted from TWL:

I can't help it, she said, pulling a long face.

It's them pills I took, to bring it off, she said.

Choose the right car based on your needs.
Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the iím Initiative now. Itís free.