Carrol, since nothing can be both conscious and unconscious, it is difficult to discuss the latter. Forget the unconscious, although Freud saw mythic images as products of it.

Mythology as a field in itself rather than an academic branch of anthropology did not exist in the 18th Century, did it? I believe the study of myths was new, or they were starting to be studied in a new way around the time of Joyce and Eliot. The Golden Bough was published in 1922. Nancy may have picked up on this subtext in Eliot's poem because as "an antenna of his race" he was aware of mythology as an opening portal in the arts. Books like Weston's and Frazier's became important because there was so much interest in mythology at that time. Diana

.

From:  Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: The life in the poem Was: New Topic
Date:  Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:57:17 -0500
Diana Manister wrote:

> Dear Nancy: perhaps many of the references to fertility rituals are
> actually in Eliot's text, even if he wrote them before Jessie Weston's
> book appeared. Everyone was Jung then and easily Freudened. The
> unconscious, source of ancient myths,

I haven't kept up with the latest mythography, but I'm pretty sure no
one for over half a century has offered this explanation of myth. It is
much more grounded in actual human practice.  Of course anyone can say
anything is "unconscious" and there's no way to prove him/her wrong --
and no way to prove it correct either! In deciphering a code, one needs
some crosscheck even to establish that the code _is_ a code. Otherwise
one plunges into an infinitely receding cycle of tautologies -- which is
the problem I have been having with offering any very substantial
content to my "stray thought" of the other day.

Carrol

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the iím Initiative now. Itís free.