Dear Carrol: Hear hear. Diana

From:  Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: The Stetson Passage in TWL
Date:  Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:39:15 -0500
Kate Troy wrote:

> I wonder how Eliot would see the current war:¬  Young american
> soldiers die every day while around them the various¬ Iraquis factions
> wound and kill each other along with the women and
> children,¬ and¬ outside¬ terrorist cells encourage and enage in the
> scenario¬ while in¬ Amerca, this is all but ignored, as the news of
> the day is how Paris Hilton is faring in prison.¬

Those Iraqi factions are patriots properly resisting a criminal foreign
aggression. There is also unfortunately a civil war, but that is almost
always one of the effects of foreign occupation. The French Resistance
killed something like 3 or 4 Frenchmen for every German they killed.

As to how Eliot would see it -- I can give the same answer I gave 40
years ago to my 10 year old daughter when she asked me if I would have
voted for Lincoln if I had been alive in 1860. I replied that if I had
been alive then I wouldn't be me. Or what a French anthropologist said
about the human species (humanity does not _have_ a history; it _is_ its
history) can also be said of individuals: I don't _have_ a history; I
_am_ my history. Ditto Eliot, and his history did not include the U.S.
aggression in the mideast.

Carrol