Richard, I may be projecting my associations on to Eliot's adjective, but he could have written "marble men" or "wooden men," both of which echo his "hollow men" more than ivory men do. I believe his word choices to be of the utmost precision. It's our job to figure out what he was being precise about! So my question is: why ivory? Diana

From: Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The ivory men
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:39:53 -0600

Diane

I think that this might be an example of applying the sensibilities of today’s actively concerned people to an era when big game hunting was one of the mark’s of true gentleman status.  The Ivory tusks of many an elephant graced the libraries of gentlemen clubs and did not in the least trigger any guilt among the patrons.  I don’t think Eliot was any more concerned about the Ivory trade than he was about the perils of smoking and using Tobacco.

Many a ragtime great hammered away on the “ivories” of tack pianos playing the music that TSE grew up with.  Ivory was in common use in his day and the plight of the African elephant was not a concern of intellectual society.

Richard Seddon