Rick, thanks for "Poems for the People." I've posted the link in a poets.org thread in which we are discussing Poetry editor Christian Wiman's recent announcement of his illness:

"I got the news that I was sick on the afternoon of my 39th birthday. It took a bit of time, travel, and a series of wretched tests to get the specific diagnosis, but by then the main blow had been delivered, and that main blow is what matters. I have an incurable cancer in my blood."

http://www.theamericanscholar.org/su07/abyss-wiman.html

Diana

Tom Colket wrote:

> This is a TOTALLY off-topic post, so I apologize in advance to the list.
>
> I was listening to National Public Radio and they had a segment on a new
> book with the weird title of "Plato and a Platypus Walk into a bar . .
> .Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes" by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel
> Klein. After hearing the interview I bought the book, and after reading the
> book I wanted to recommend it to my friends on the list.

Thanks Tom. Although I haven't picked up the book I did hear the radio
story and also thought that list members would be interested and
should be given notice but between the morning and the afternoon,
between the idea and the reality, fell the shadow.

The Sherlock Holmes joke was rated by many internet users a few years
ago as the world's funniest joke.  As I remember things, British men
rated it as their favorite.  I like the joke rated most highly by
American men.  That one runs along the lines of:
    A couple of hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the
    ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing, his eyes are rolled back in
    his head. The other guy whips out his mobile phone and calls the
    emergency services. He gasps to the operator, "My friend is dead! What
    can I do?" The operator, in a calm soothing voice says, "Just take it
    easy. First, let's make sure he's dead." There's silence, then a shot
    is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says, "OK, now
    what?"
This could be reworded quite easily to reference a certain American
Vice President.

An article on the joke poll is at

And so I'm not completely off topic here's a couple of Eliot sightings:

There is an extended edition of Spiderman 2 called Spiderman 2.1 that
has a mention of Eliot in it that I don't remember seeing in the
original film. Peter Parker (Spiderman) is having a conversation with
Dr. Otto Octavious (before he turns into Dr. Octopus) and Octavious
says that when he met his wife he talked of science and she discussed
poetry. Then he quoted from Four Quartets and told Peter that science
was so much easier to understand.

Also, there is, online, a version of an article that appeared in the
June, 18, 2007 issue of Time magazine (around page 70, they don't
number the pages well).  It's about how Poetry magazine is spending its
$200,000,000.  Eliot and Pound are mentioned.

     Poems for the People
     By Lev Grossman
     Thursday, Jun. 07, 2007

     http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1630571,00.html