David, Evelyn Waugh's catholicism seems not to have been the comfort to him that Eliot's Anglican version of the faith was:

"The question of Waugh's Catholicism has always been a puzzle, especially for those who were not brought up in that religion. Waugh viewed existence with a Manichean eye, and feared for himself and his soul in a fallen and still falling world: the Church, Hastings points out, 'offered a safe and solid structure, a discipline, an ordered way of life which, once adopted, held out a clear prospect of salvation'.

In the end, however, with the papacy of John XXIII, even that rock-like edifice began to totter, and Waugh sank into what the Church considered one of the gravest sins: despair. 'My life is roughly speaking over. I sleep badly except occasionally in the morning. I get up late. I try to read my letters. I try to read the paper. I have some gin. I try to read the paper again. I have some more gin. I try to think about my autobiography, then I have some more gin and it's lunchtime. That's my life. It's ghastly.'

From The Guardian:

Keeping his gin, not his chin, up

"Evelyn Waugh finds in Selina Hastings a biographer of maternal sympathy and great acuity:
- Evelyn Waugh: A Biography by Selina Hastings
Sinclair Sevenson, 20
"

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/biography/0,,98917,00.html

Diana

.

From: David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TSE and War
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:38:55 EDT

In a message dated 04/06/2007 15:12:08 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Perhaps pertinent to this discussion is this excerpt from Christopher Hitchens' new book God is Not Great (p.237):

"Even in a country like England, where fascist sympathies were far less prevalent, they still managed to get an audience in respectable circles by the agency of Catholic intellectuals such as T.S. Eliot and Evelyn Waugh."

Diana

Surely, that's wholly inaccurate and totally without foundation links Eliot and Waugh and [presumably Roman] 'Catholicism' with 'Fascism'.

TSE was of course devoutly of the *Anglican* religion whilst Evelyn Waugh displayed much personal commitment and bravery in actively fighting Fascism during WW2. AIUI there was some ambivalence amongst the English 'ruling classes' towards Fascism during the 1930's - Moseleys, Mitfords etc. being extreme examples - but that's another, broader issue...........

Regards

David