This morning Rose Ann Bodman and I returned to Shaw Nature Reserve, having missed the Hooded Warbler Monday afternoon that David Becher had found there Sunday.  Almost as soon as we walked into the area we could hear his distinctive song, but finding him was another matter.  He was on the right side of the road this morning, mostly several layers of trees back from the Trail House loop road.  I got one good look when he flew past me into a small tree and continued singing.  Rose Ann was too far away when he took off again.  As he had passed me, he was with another bird of about the same size.  We heard only one Hooded singing during the hour and a half or so we were trying for a visual.  Hope a nest is in the offing.

  We went down to check Labadie bottom on Boles Road after SNR, and were rewarded within a few minutes with prolonged binocular and scope looks at a coverbird-worthy Lark Sparrow
  slowly eating a bug from an electric wire perch.  A strange looking Red-tailed Hawk was sitting on a distant tower with its back to us.  Must take a look at my hawk books.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County