Today I went to check out the Medical Center Peregrine eyrie, and I did a pretty in-depth examination of all the bird pieces (heads, wings, feathers, feet, pellets) under the ledge on the ground. I couldn't come up with any 100% indentifiable purple martin parts, but there were definately long swallow-like primaries that I would call chimney swift or purple martin. Other identifiable pieces included a flicker head, wing, and MANY mourning dove, reddish-pigeon, and mockingbird feathers. Also some smaller bird heads and pieces.

  I'm working on getting my falconer's license, and I've hunted before with Peregrine falcons and Peregrine x Gyrfalcon hybrids, and without a doubt they are fully capable of taking purple martins, or any other bird they want to. I visited the martin house, and only saw one male and one female for the 20 minutes I was in Forest Park.

  Also I observed one of the peregrines stoop on a pigeon and eat it on top of a neigboring building. Incredible.

  I went to the Proctor and Gamble building and looked for Western Kingbirds for an hour without luck.

  Good birding,

  Christian Hagenlocher
  Wildwood

Need Mail bonding?