Camped at Greer Campground last week and am just now getting around to
posting some of the highlight birds. Did not hear or see the Swainson's
Warbler. I only went about 15 minutes into the foot path I usually travel
(where I usually hear them) and turned around because I was feeling under
protected from chiggers and ticks (realizing that I didn't spray very well).
But I managed to get every Missouri breeding warbler except the Swainson's
all in the Greer area. Pretty amazing habitat around there.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Whip-poor-will
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
and the following warblers:
1. Blue-winged
2. N. Parula
3. Yellow
4. Yellow-throated
5. Pine (heard along gravel road just off HWY 19 in pines, not far)
6. Prairie (heard driving HWY 19, not far)
7. Cerulean
8. Black and White
9. American Redstart
10. Prothonotary
11. Worm-eating (heard along gravel road just north of picnic entrance)
12. Ovenbird
13. Louisiana Waterthrush
14. Kentucky
15. Hooded (total of 4; 2 in picnic area and 2 on foot path beyond gravel
road n. of entrance)
16. Yellow-breasted Chat

Got into a confrontation with some picnic partiers who felt they were
entitled to blast their SUV stereo (doors and hatch wide open). You get the
picture. To make a point, I parked my car next to their's and turned up my
Leslie Garrett's opera arias. But all of that took away most of my evening
birding. Nature Deficit Disorder is rampant!

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO

More photos, more messages, more storageóget 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.